Mold 101

Mold 101

What is it?

The word mold causes different reactions when spoken about. Some people think of the mildew around their tube, or the green stuff growing on the bread they haven’t thrown out, others are frighten given all the health horror stories out there, and others are in different due to lack of knowledge or exposure. Mold is a type of fungus that occurs natural in nature, it acts as a decomposer of decaying organic materials such as leaves. It also acts as a decomposer and a health hazard in ones’ home.

Why does it grow inside a home?

Mold spores are present in the air and seek moisture in order to grow, many house hold activities such as bathing, cooking, doing laundry etc. produce moisture. Also, other events such as a pipe burst or flooding causes moisture in one’s home with can cause mold to grow. The more moisture present in your home the more likely you are to encounter mold.

Its effects…

The effects of mold can be extensive not only to one’s property but to one’s health as well. It can grow on almost any material and begin to decompose it slowly, it can cause major damage to a home’s structure if untreated. Mold also affects people’s health. Studies show a correlation between mold exposure and respiratory issues. Individuals with asthma, young children, and elderly folks are prone to mold related respiratory health issues.

How to prevent it…

The key to preventing mold growth is keeping a dry home. The use of exhaust fans in kitchens, bathrooms, and laundry areas help reduce moisture levels in these spaces. If you experience a leak from a roof, windows, basement walls, and/or plumbing pipes stop the water intrusion as quickly as possible and dry wet materials to avoid mold growth.

Share this post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *